Cavity can be a very dreadful word. What do you think first when you hear cavities? A visit to a dentist? Pain? Drill? Dental treatment? A good oral care routine can help you keep cavity-free teeth and prevent tooth decay and result in a healthy mouth
Following are a few tips that you can follow to stay away from cavities and tooth decay.
Don’t forget your dental fundamentals
- To combat cavities, you should follow a healthy and good oral hygiene regimen. In certain instances, your tooth enamel has the capability to repair itself by using minerals from your saliva and fluoride from the toothpaste that you use.
- Find the right toothbrush for yourself.
- Toothpastes that contain fluoride enhance your dental health and hence you should use those to brush and rinse.
- Brushing is important at least for two minutes twice a day.
- Don’t forget to floss once a day. It removes food particles that get stuck which can get missed while brushing.
Apart from daily oral hygiene you can go through a few lifestyle adjustments such as,
- Check what you eat
You should have a well-balanced diet, it helps in reducing decay. Avoid a diet that contains high-sugar or heavy-starch.
- Eat greens
Green leafy vegetables and fruits add calcium and reduce acids in saliva.
- Stay hydrated
Drink plenty of water as a dry mouth allows plaque to be retained in your mouth.
- Avoid teeth staining drinks
Watch out for drinks such as tea, coffee, alcohol, soda. They lead to discoloration of your teeth.
The above tips will help you in maintaining good dental hygiene. For a consultation and for dental cleaning and treatment, you can make an appointment at +1 (403) 252 7733 or visit directly at Expressions Dental™ Clinic in Calgary and meet our dentists.