Prevention of Injuries With Mouthguards
Mouthguards are an essential way to protect your teeth and jaws from injuries caused due to sports or other recreational activities. A mouthguard becomes a necessary athletic gear for you even if you are an athlete or not, just someone who dabbles in sports occasionally. They help you to cushion the impact or blow that otherwise can cause serious injury to your mouth such as jaw injuries or fractures, broken or chipped teeth, cuts to the lips, face, or tongue.
Mouthguards also reduce the risk of the acuity of concussions due to the sudden blow or impact. The injuries are not only an expensive deal to repair, but also may lead to long-term suffering and pain, hence a little protection from your end can prevent serious injury.
You will find three types of mouthguards, one – ready-made mouthguards, two – boil-and-bite mouthguards, and three – custom-made mouthguards that are made by your dentists. Your dentist can make custom-fitted mouthguards for you which fits your mouth snug and comfortably
You should select a mouthguard that,
- is resilient,
- gives you a comfortable fit,
- is easy to clean, and
- does not hinder your speech or breathing.
Taking care of your mouthguard
You will need to take care of your mouthguard and keep it sanitized or else it can increase the chances of mouth cuts and abrasions and cause infections.
- Rinse your mouthguard before and after each use or you can brush it with a toothbrush and toothpaste.
- Clean your mouthguard occasionally in cool, soapy water and rinse it carefully and thoroughly.
- Do not leave your mouthguard in the open, in the sun, or in hot water.
- Keep checking for wear and get a replacement for your mouthguard when it is necessary.
For treatment for mouth injuries you can visit Expressions Dental™ Clinic in Calgary and consult our dentists and get more tips on future prevention of such injuries. You can also book an appointment at +1 (403) 252 7733