Tips to Prevent Tartar Buildup
Tartar, sometimes called calculus, is plaque that has hardened on your teeth. Tartar can also form at and underneath the gum line and can irritate gum tissues. Bad oral hygiene habits cause dental plaque to build up and dental tartar to eventually collect above your gum line, which provides more sticky surfaces for dental plaque to grow on that again collect dental tartar. It’s a vicious cycle. This leads to more serious conditions, such as cavities and gum disease.
Tips to Prevent Tartar Buildup:
- Having your teeth cleaned professionally every 6 months, or more frequently as recommended by your dentist or hygienist
- Proper brushing and flossing are necessary to reduce plaque and tartar buildup.
- Preventive debridement or dental scaling atleast twice a year is recommended if your teeth tend to accumulate tartar.
- Using tartar control toothpastes
- Using non-alcoholic anti-bacterial mouthwashes
- Munching fruits and vegetables like apples, carrot or celery sticks is recommended. They help remove food particles, plaque or tartar on your teeth.
- Avoid smoking.
- Drink sufficient amount of water after each meal to wash out any food particles in the mouth.
Once tartar has formed, only your dentist or hygienist can remove it. The process for removing tartar is called scaling. During a scaling, the dentist or hygienist uses special instruments to remove tartar from your teeth above and below the gum line.
If you have been affected by tartar, Visit Expressions Dental Clinic in Calgary and seek dental help.