“A pathway to your bright new smile!”
At Expressions DentalTM Clinic, our general dentists are dedicated to delivering you oral health services like periodontal treatment in Calgary NW and looking after your overall dental hygiene. If you have active periodontal disease, the typical routines of home care, such as teeth brushing and daily dental hygiene- may not be sufficient enough, as those methods generally focus on areas of the tooth, which are above the gum-line and slightly below. You may need periodontal treatment in such case.
However with root planning procedures and regular scaling, our dental hygienists can remove the build-up of plaque, bacterial toxins, and tartar from tooth surfaces below the gum line, which are the areas that general home care practices are unable to reach.
What is Periodontal Disease?
It is among the most common dental issues and one of the vital reasons for tooth loss in adults. Two types of periodontal disease – gingivitis and periodontitis, are infections of the gum and bone that surround the teeth and keep them in place. Basically, periodontitis is an advanced form of ‘Gingivitis.’ The good news is that if the infections are identified in the early stages, they are almost always treatable and preventable and may not require periodontal treatment; you just have to do daily brushing, flossing and regular dental hygiene visits and checkups at your dental clinic.
What are the symptoms of periodontal disease?
Periodontal disease is usually painless and hard to detect in its early stage, which is why it is so vital to have regular checkups with our general dentist in Calgary NW to identify if you have a periodontal disease. There are, however, some symptoms which can help detect possible infection:
- Red, shiny and swollen gums
- Bleeding gums
- Pus around the teeth and gums
- Persistent lousy taste or bad breath
- Tenderness, sensitivity, and discomfort
- Receding Gums
- Changes in the alignment of your teeth
- Loose teeth
- A taste of metal in your mouth
“For the life of your smile!”
In addition to your periodontal cleaning and evaluation, your appointment with our general dentists will usually include:
- Examination of diagnostic X-rays that are necessary for detection of decay, cysts, tumors, and bone loss. X-rays as well help identify tooth root positions.
- Examination for tooth decay, we check all tooth surfaces for cavities.
- We examine existing restorations to check current crowns, fillings and many more.
- Oral cancer screening: we check neck, cheek tissues, lips, face, throat, tongue, and gums to find if there are any signs of oral cancer.
- We give necessary recommendations regarding oral hygiene like the use of special periodontal brushes, electric toothbrushes, rinses, fluorides, etc.
- We do teeth polishing of the patients to remove plaque and stain, which is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
If you feel you may have Periodontal Disease and want to have periodontal treatment in Calgary NW., do not hesitate to contact us at +1 (403) 252 7733 to book your appointment. In certain cases, you may be referred to a Periodontist who is a gum specialist.